Re: prompts

---------

From: Geoffrey McClain (skygeoff_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed Oct 22 2003 - 03:46:20 PDT

promptsHere's an inspiring (I think new) lesson. We're doing a unit on Japan this year. My third graders were inspired by the plasitic food displays in the windows of Japanese restaurants. These displays are so realistic that you can't believe the food isn't real. It takes them years of training to learn how to make this plastic food. I got some great images from Google of fake shrimp tempura, beef bowl and fried rice. There's a district in Japan devoted to this fake food.
Anyway, I gave them small paper plates to decorate and then passed out Model Magic (no kiln at my school). They created the most realistic version of their favorite foods. Next they will mix paint to create realistic colors. They get the primary colors and black and white. Then they will make a little display with a construction paper decorated placemat, napkin, cut out "silverware", etc. Some of the food they made included a slice of pizza with pepperoni, oreo cookies, sushi, tacos and hamburgers. All my other classes have been begging to do this.
Sky in NJ