Find Lesson Plans on! GettyGames

Re: humor in visual art -and junk sculpture

From: Judy Decker (judydeckeriad_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Mon Oct 20 2003 - 17:37:54 PDT

Scroll down if you want junk sculpture -Leo Sewell

I've been meaning to add onto this thread...
I found this contemporary artists who does posted with
fruit and veggies -- sort of a modern day Arcimboldo:
His name is Henry Rox if the link doesn't work. Lots
of posters available in the poster shops under Humor
in Art. Art Spoofs is a good topic to look under too.

Michael Sowa had a number of posters too - realistic
renderings -many with pigs doing humorous things.

Thousands of poster shop links with hundreds of

Here is an article from National Museum of American

I do love this book:
Humor in Art: A Celebration of Visual Wit
by Author: Nicholas Roukes

Sculpture from Found Objects:

Those of you wanting to make sculpture from found
objects will want to get this book. I did find the
artist I was thinking about who makes sculptures
assembled from all sorts of found junk - Leo Sewell. I
had an art print of a penquin. It was like a discovery
the more you looked at it the the more identifiable
junk you could find. Might be fun to have kids look at
one of his works then try to list all of the different
items they could find.

Leo Sewell links:
Here is the Boxer - image in book:
Don't want to leave ou tcat fans either:

Melissa if you are reading... a new twist for your
teddy bear paper mache unit?
Apply all sorts of found stuff to the surface --
cards, bottle caps, buttons - political pins...small
toys...on and on.

Dog and duck:

Article on Sewell:

Some more Sewell images:

Article and images - Art from Recycled Materials:

Two pages of images:

Atlanta Airport art:

Sewell Football:

This shows a picture of the Penquin print that I had
(I think it was from Davis):

There are more links here and there - but this should
give you enough images to play with. Incredible Art
Department is interested in any lesson you do around
this artist. One that wouldn't be too difficult would
be paper mache -- with junk objects applied all over
the surface - or even gum and candy wrappers or labels

Thanks Samantha for getting this going again. My
Favorite Humor in Art ceramic guy is Robert Arneson.

>> there are tons of examples of humor
> out there in visual art too,n'est pas?
> so folks..share pretty please? what is *your*
> favorite humorous art?Inquiring minds want to know
> :)

Judith Decker
Incredible Art Department
Incredible Art Department