RE: colonial american weaving-cards

---------

From: Puhl, Kristen K (puhlk_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Mon Oct 20 2003 - 15:36:18 PDT

I'm student teaching in the artroom of a weave-aholic right now and a couple of our students just completed card weavings a week or so ago. They had a series of cards with four holes in each; they had to put the string through the holes in a certain pattern and then tie themselves to the door (sitting in a chair with the harness around the chair) and turn the cards in certain ways...don't ask me. It's confusing but they turned out beautifully.

We don't have a website here...Judy, if I emailed you some pictures could you post them somewhere? Or somebody?

We also have lots of inkle looms (the middles school kids are doing this right now) and a couple others that I don't know the names of, and a large one that sits on the floor. (My cooperating teacher would die if he read this.) He studied with a quite famous textiles artist at the University of Wisconsin-River Falls in the sixties I would guess. I've tried to absorb as much about weaving as I can, but it all seems so complicated!

Kristy