Altered books/meet the Irish - Book Shrines

---------

From: Judy Decker (judydeckeriad_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun Oct 19 2003 - 17:29:34 PDT

Dear Altered Book Fans,

I am just turning you onto these Book shrines that
Samantha Wilmoth (Getty list) sent to me:
http://www.eskimo.com/~hmiller/cumdach/molaise2.jpg
http://www.eskimo.com/~hmiller/cumdach.html

It would be neat to made a box (corrugated cardboard
would work) and cover it with foil tooling -to create
a "house" for your treasure - a personal shrine of
sorts.

Some additional Medieval Book links:
For Illumination lessons - book of Kells
http://www.dubois.ws/people/paul/kells/

Interesting - Early Celtic Traveler:
http://allaboutirish.com/library/people/stbrendan.shtm

Making of Medieval Books:
http://www.getty.edu/art/exhibitions/making/

Evolution of the Medieval Book:
http://rmc.library.cornell.edu/medievalbook/default.htm

Lots of Related Topics at the Met
Art Book of the Middle Ages:
http://www.metmuseum.org/toah/hd/book/hd_book.htm
Manuscript Illumination in Italy (1400-1600):
http://www.metmuseum.org/toah/hd/iman/hd_iman.htm
Art Book of Ilkhanid Period (Asia):
http://www.metmuseum.org/toah/hd/khan2/hd_khan2.htm
Arts of Islamic Books:
http://www.metmuseum.org/toah/hd/isbk/hd_isbk.htm

This is for me - Animals in Medieval Art:
http://www.metmuseum.org/toah/hd/best/hd_best.htm
Timeline in Art History Index:
http://www.metmuseum.org/toah/hi/a.htm

Interesting site from Ireland - conservatin of books:
http://www.muckross-house.ie/bookbinding/intro.htm
Home page for site:
http://www.muckross-house.ie/intro.htm

I had more good stuff to post on this one -- but my
machine froze up and I lost them - I went back and
found these few for you....Happy surfing if you want
more. I do have more on my Papermaking/Bookmaking page
and on Illumination page on my site.

Thanks Samantha for the book shrines. Art of the
Middle Ages comes up every year on Getty list - I'm
just getting a head start now.

Incredible Art Department is very interested in adding
any "Personal Shrine" lesson you might have - or Foil
Tooling Niches.

Judith

=====
Judith Decker