Find Lesson Plans on! GettyGames

Altered books/meet the Irish - Book Shrines

From: Judy Decker (judydeckeriad_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun Oct 19 2003 - 17:29:34 PDT

Dear Altered Book Fans,

I am just turning you onto these Book shrines that
Samantha Wilmoth (Getty list) sent to me:

It would be neat to made a box (corrugated cardboard
would work) and cover it with foil tooling -to create
a "house" for your treasure - a personal shrine of

Some additional Medieval Book links:
For Illumination lessons - book of Kells

Interesting - Early Celtic Traveler:

Making of Medieval Books:

Evolution of the Medieval Book:

Lots of Related Topics at the Met
Art Book of the Middle Ages:
Manuscript Illumination in Italy (1400-1600):
Art Book of Ilkhanid Period (Asia):
Arts of Islamic Books:

This is for me - Animals in Medieval Art:
Timeline in Art History Index:

Interesting site from Ireland - conservatin of books:
Home page for site:

I had more good stuff to post on this one -- but my
machine froze up and I lost them - I went back and
found these few for you....Happy surfing if you want
more. I do have more on my Papermaking/Bookmaking page
and on Illumination page on my site.

Thanks Samantha for the book shrines. Art of the
Middle Ages comes up every year on Getty list - I'm
just getting a head start now.

Incredible Art Department is very interested in adding
any "Personal Shrine" lesson you might have - or Foil
Tooling Niches.

Judith Decker
Incredible Art Department
Incredible Art Department