Re: Real Art for Halloween - Share ideas

---------

From: dkj (jouets_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun Oct 19 2003 - 12:37:11 PDT

This idea is from a November 2000 Arts and Activities article by Yvonne
Greene titled "Funny Faces". The idea may be used at Halloween, but is not
Halloween art per se. In a nutshell:
Show pictures of mask examples from variety of cultures, discuss symmetry
and how emotions such as happy, sad, angry, silly, surprised, etc. might be
expressed.
Use 2 contrasting 9x12 (or 10x16?) construction papers per child. Fold one
piece in half (either way) and tear out a face shape. Glue to contrasting
paper. (Demonstrate, then monitor so that children don't tear off too much)
 Tear other paper scraps to form features, hair, cheeks, hat, earrings, etc.
if desired, and glue.
Have gadget print stations set up and demonstrate when several children are
ready to print.
Students should use gadgets to print selectively to add definition to their
faces. (Author notes that students should be supervised during this process
as free license to print will result in their covering the entire surface of
the paper. She also notes that children should have had experienced
exploratory gadget printing without limitations in order to print
selectively in this project.)
The samples pictured in the articles use only black paint for the
printmaking, which would make set-up easier, but I imagine if one wished it
would be as successful with various other colors.
I plan to try this on Monday with 1st and 2nd grades (The author suggests
pre-K to 1st-2nd grade...I have had trouble getting Kinders to tear
construction paper, though) They have all done gadget printing but not this
year. Hope it works! I have an hour with them, so I will do both parts of
the lesson in one session. If you have less time it would probably take 2
sessions.
Deborah

---