More Wire Project ideas - Gloria and all

---------

From: Judy Decker (judydeckeriad_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun Oct 19 2003 - 13:10:12 PDT

(Good artist for High School - scroll down)

ArtsEdNetters,

A request for wire sculpture ideas came up on Getty
list. Samantha recommended wire toys from Africa:

Since I have two push toys (a bicycle built for two--
that has one rider playing a drum - and a little guy
on a two wheel cart) - a wire Volkswagen bug and wire
airplane from Kenya - I decided to see what I could
find out there. Here is a commercial site where you
can find images:
http://www.africancraftsmarket.com/wirepage.html
I liked the lizard and fish.

Crocodile (Calder would like this one) - also holds
CD's
http://www.african-dreams.co.za/images/cd_holder.jpg

Musical Instruments:
http://www.african-dreams.co.za/images/wire_musical_instruments.jpg

Here are some sculptures that look a lot like ones my
students made many years ago. I got free copper wire
from Westinghouse (motor winding wire)
that made great sculptures (no reference to Africa on
the page -- but it did come up in the search):
Ranie Botsford
http://ww2.fwdart.com/gh/dynadex+Username=botsford

Billy Makhubela's (scroll down)
http://people.brandeis.edu/~mausland/memoryscapes/horvitz.html
"Billy Makhubela's wire sculptures, Woman and Man,
1985, represent fine art versions of the traditional
African decorative wire sculptures. Today, street
artists in Africa commonly sell wire animals and wire
baskets to earn a living. Makhubela's choice to use
human subjects reflects his own vision of the Western
tradition of portraiture. These pieces are
complimented by one of the masterpieces of tourist
art, Charlie the Crocodile--a large wire sculpture."
(I couldn't find any more works by him online)

Wire Toys (since these are similar to mine - I am
guessing Kenya - mine are more dense - more wires
http://www.craftsofafrica.com/html/list_wire.asp?SupplierId=11
some of the larger images are missing

Jeryl - if you happen to see this - here are some
Batiks that bring to mind the ones your kids did:
http://www.craftsofafrica.com/html/search_batiks.asp
folks - compare with Jeryl's (scroll down)
http://www.princetonol.com/groups/iad/Files/world.htm

(High school sculpture idea -- combine with Sokari
David Camp http://www.sokari.co.uk/ Nigerian artist,
based in UK. Welded steel sculpture inspired by
traditional African art.)
Janet Goldner -Welded Steel Sculpture
http://www.biddingtons.com/GALLERY6/goldner.htm
http://www.biddingtons.com/content/creativegoldner.html
I am seeing kids doing some kind of pierced copper
tooling foil --antiqued with liver of sulfur (stinky
--but beautiful results) - include some repousse. I
have pierced tooling foil so know it is doable...Xacto
knives work.

Wire combined with pop cans - doable with kids:
http://www.public.fotki.com/SenegalStyle/wire_sculptures!!!/dune_buggy_made.html
(sorry folks long URL - copy and paste))

http://www.public.fotki.com/SenegalStyle/wire_sculptures!!!/aluminum_can_and.html
(copy and paste - long URL)

New images from Indigo Arts (folks this site changes
all the time - so check back from time to time):
http://www.indigoarts.com/gallery_africanart_folk1.html
(fun push toys - already sold! - so I imagine the
images will be gone soon)

GREAT IDEA! make a wire treasure -- and frame it with
a foil tooled frame.
http://gecko.netfirms.com/wirework.htm
I have done 9x 12 foil tooled frame from one piece of
foil -- cutting out the center (foil saved for other
projects)....and have also done larger frames by
wrapping strips (cut about 3" wide - and mitered at
the corners - overlapping a miter cut over a straight
end tab) around a corrugated cut mat. The larger ones
are just tooled right on the cardboard whereas the
smaller ones allow you to repousse more - the smaller
ones are also folded around a corrugated cardboard cut
mat.
I saved the Gecko for me:
http://gecko.netfirms.com/images/Wirework_Gecko_Small.jpg

And here are the links from Samantha the got me on my
way:
Wire Sculptures - one word: galimotos
these should at least give some ideas for a starting
point...~Samantha

Galimotos from Africa
http://teacherlink.ed.usu.edu/tlresources/units/byrnes-africa/chrhal/
Lesson Plan for Galimotos
http://teacherlink.ed.usu.edu/tlresources/units/byrnes-africa/susbuc/

Student project examples
http://www.bedford.k12.ma.us/davis/library/Student%20Projects/First%20Grade/galimoto.htm

Lesson Plan for Galimotos
http://www.bu.edu/africa/outreach/materials/handouts/crafts.html

Lesson for story Galimoto
http://education.nebrwesleyan.edu/eisenhower/partsites/meadowlane1/Lesson1.html

Two wire art images - car and motorcycle
http://www.indiana.edu/~afrist/images/wireart.jpg

(this one wouldn't load for me today)
http://www.ghbooks.com/activity/activity.cfm?bookid=15133&page=44

some interdisciplinary connections
http://ab.mec.edu/curriculum/teacher/Grades/grade2/gr2ss.html

Incredible Art Department wants a lesson plan for Wire
Sculpture - any culture would do...but if anyone wants
to latch onto these African Wire Sculpture links ---by
all means please do.

Gloria - jump in any time and tell us the grade level
you are working with. Just reply to this message.
(remove the bulk of my post when you reply)

Judith

=====
Judith Decker
Incredible Art Department