WOW! crayon artist

---------

From: Patricia Knott (pknott_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun Oct 19 2003 - 11:07:38 PDT

I'm wondering the WOW

I think the most important statement is

> Colors like Crayola's "Cerulean" and "Turquoise Blue" continue to
> trigger the memories of his past which are whimsically portrayed in his
> fantasy beachscape

It is the "trigger" that matters
I get catalogues every day with all kinds of fancy-shmancy gimmicky crap
wanting me to spend my money on
and I think
what tools do I really need to make kids think about art?
I don't need rollers that make patterns , I don't need spatulas that I can
get a t the dollar store at much less the price of the catalogue
offerings

Why be wowed at what a crayon can do?
Be wowed at the inspiration you can give for what that crayon can do
That's art making

I have no inspiration from gimmicks
a crayon a surface
what can you make from it?

Many of you have such limited budgets
you envy and want to posses what is not feasible within your budget
What can you do with a crayon ? Work with your limitations.
I teach high school. Part of my process is the discovery of the potential of
limited resources,
What can you make from nothing? How do you find the potential in nothing?
I can't stand the gimmicks anymore
But I can stand how to make my students aware of the gimmicks and use them
to the fullest potential. And a lesson on how crayons can be used to the
fullest potential is useful.

The history of art is filled with artists finding the potential of the
material to fulfill the idea

Make your lessons truly reflect the media not the other way around
always start with the why?

Patty

---