Re: CRAMMING it all in...Meagan - an idea

---------

From: Judy Decker (judydeckeriad_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sat Oct 18 2003 - 09:22:06 PDT

Hi again Meagan,

Wish I could think of everything all at once....Here
is a way to break things up a bit...All teachers need
to have a few good one day projects in their "bag of
tricks". No one can ever predict what may happen in
our world. I have saved all of the one day project
ideas that have been posted to the list and will
forward them all to you if you missed them. We have
all had an "emgergency" when our projects were not
working and we needed a break. After 9/11, I did a
word wall (idea borrowed from Woody Duncan). I turned
it into a design lesson - design a bumper sticker for
American Pride (or any message for world peace and
such). I threw in the Peace Dove lesson as a one day
assignment for 6th graders (I can send those files to
you). All in progress projects kind of changed to
reflect the times....Words for peace ended up in
borders for the Haitian jungles...Twin Towers appeared
as background images for some 8th grade
paintings....7th graders had messages for peace in
their surreal collages. Sometimes - change is good.
Why did I do this? I was told NOT to talk about 9/11
in my class - that was for the classroom teachers to
do...so we didn't talk about it (even though the kids
wanted to)...Including it in their art gave the kids a
chance to reflect on what what was important to them
at the time. I hung the peace doves in the cafeteria
and put the bumper stickers in the show cases.

Judith

=====
Judith Decker
Incredible Art Department