Re: Found Object Sculpture Themes

---------

From: Mary Bolyard (mbgms678_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Fri Oct 17 2003 - 16:21:00 PDT

I finished putting the found object sculptures on
display from my 8th grade students. The sculpture had
to be a type of creature - real or imaginary. For the
armatures- I gave them cardboard, newspaper, plastic
bags and wire, plus masking tape, Elmer's glue and hot
glue( low-temp).
We discussed as a group ways to use the materials. I
did not give a lot of directions in the construction
of the armature. They were to problem solve with a
classmate if any problems came up. Armatures were
covered with plaster craft. The found objects were the
"skin". We used a variety of adhesives.
Before choosing an object, we brainstormed as a class
possible choices of found objects. They were highly
motivated and kept giving suggestions. We have a
penguin made from washers, a Fruit Loop lizard,a gum
wrapper monkey ,a noodle cat, a beaver covered with
wood chips, a flamingo with pink silk flowers and
more. All sculptures were required to stand. Even the
goldfish cracker covered fish had a stand. The
collaboration worked wonderfully an many levels. The
kids who are in my next class were already talking
about what they would make even before the first day
of class.
MaryB