Find Lesson Plans on! GettyGames

Re: Found Object Sculpture Themes

From: Mary Bolyard (mbgms678_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Fri Oct 17 2003 - 16:21:00 PDT

I finished putting the found object sculptures on
display from my 8th grade students. The sculpture had
to be a type of creature - real or imaginary. For the
armatures- I gave them cardboard, newspaper, plastic
bags and wire, plus masking tape, Elmer's glue and hot
glue( low-temp).
We discussed as a group ways to use the materials. I
did not give a lot of directions in the construction
of the armature. They were to problem solve with a
classmate if any problems came up. Armatures were
covered with plaster craft. The found objects were the
"skin". We used a variety of adhesives.
Before choosing an object, we brainstormed as a class
possible choices of found objects. They were highly
motivated and kept giving suggestions. We have a
penguin made from washers, a Fruit Loop lizard,a gum
wrapper monkey ,a noodle cat, a beaver covered with
wood chips, a flamingo with pink silk flowers and
more. All sculptures were required to stand. Even the
goldfish cracker covered fish had a stand. The
collaboration worked wonderfully an many levels. The
kids who are in my next class were already talking
about what they would make even before the first day
of class.
--- art inmind <> wrote:
> I am wondering if anyone has a good motivational
> theme for creating found
> object sculptures in both middle and high school.

Do you Yahoo!?