Find Lesson Plans on! GettyGames

History of Halloween (Grace and all)

From: Judy Decker (judydeckeriad_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Fri Oct 17 2003 - 16:17:59 PDT

Dear Friends in Art Education,

Grace Hall got me to "jump ahead of myself" here... I
am putting links to history and customs of Halloween
on the lesson ideas page.

Here is one that is very tame -- you will like the
music, too: Written by
Jerry Wilson and resources given:
Everyday Things, 1987; and Dr. Joseph Gahagan,
University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee, Personal letter,

Those who really want to know....check History
Special Presentation: History of Halloween - 7 PM & 11
PM - October 31
"Trick or treating, costume parties, bowls of candy by
the door. It's how we celebrate Halloween. But where
do these customs come from? On October 31,
when pint-sized ghouls and goblins knock on doors,
they're actually carrying on a tradition that goes
back thousands of years to the Celtic tribes of
northern Europe. For centuries this night has
celebrated mystery and chaos, a time between summer
winter, a time between life and death."
I wonder if this is the program that will be shown?

Some Background information from History Channel:
(I will link this - but it may not stay on their site)

This site gives you more than you will need --
actually debates some of the statements made in the
above links: Kids
won't take time to read this -- I will be linking it
FYI -- just enjoy the music -- glean from this
want you want. I honestly did not read all of it
myself. Do scroll all the way down to see the "Don't
Drink and Fly" Witch (have a chuckle)
Home page has a good Halloween tune:

This is good and factual (well researched) - use it if
you are allowed (you will see what I mean):
Not one kids will take time to read

Jack-o-Lantern legend:

Brief Summary - large font so easy to read:

I am certain there are more out there - but I just
kept reading the same info. I have selected ones I
liked best. Enjoy Grace! This one's for you. If you
find one kids will like, let us know. I stopped

Judith Decker

Judith Decker
Incredible Art Department
Incredible Art Department