History of Halloween (Grace and all)

---------

From: Judy Decker (judydeckeriad_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Fri Oct 17 2003 - 16:17:59 PDT

Dear Friends in Art Education,

Grace Hall got me to "jump ahead of myself" here... I
am putting links to history and customs of Halloween
on the lesson ideas page.

Here is one that is very tame -- you will like the
music, too:
http://wilstar.com/holidays/hallown.htm Written by
Jerry Wilson and resources given:
Everyday Things, 1987; and Dr. Joseph Gahagan,
University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee, Personal letter,
1997

Those who really want to know....check History
Channel:
Special Presentation: History of Halloween - 7 PM & 11
PM - October 31
"Trick or treating, costume parties, bowls of candy by
the door. It's how we celebrate Halloween. But where
do these customs come from? On October 31,
when pint-sized ghouls and goblins knock on doors,
they're actually carrying on a tradition that goes
back thousands of years to the Celtic tribes of
northern Europe. For centuries this night has
celebrated mystery and chaos, a time between summer
winter, a time between life and death."
I wonder if this is the program that will be shown?
http://store.aetv.com/html/product/index.jhtml?id=40208

Some Background information from History Channel:
http://www.historychannel.com/exhibits/halloween/hallowmas.html
(I will link this - but it may not stay on their site)

This site gives you more than you will need --
actually debates some of the statements made in the
above links:
http://www.illusions.com/halloween/hallows.htm Kids
won't take time to read this -- I will be linking it
FYI -- just enjoy the music -- glean from this
want you want. I honestly did not read all of it
myself. Do scroll all the way down to see the "Don't
Drink and Fly" Witch (have a chuckle)
Home page has a good Halloween tune:
http://www.illusions.com/halloween/

This is good and factual (well researched) - use it if
you are allowed (you will see what I mean):
http://www.new-life.net/halowen1.htm
http://www.new-life.net/halowen2.htm
Not one kids will take time to read

Jack-o-Lantern legend:
http://www.new-life.net/halowen4.htm

Brief Summary - large font so easy to read:
http://www.geocities.com/balbrenny/

I am certain there are more out there - but I just
kept reading the same info. I have selected ones I
liked best. Enjoy Grace! This one's for you. If you
find one kids will like, let us know. I stopped
looking.

Judith Decker

=====
Judith Decker