Re: Real Art for Halloween - Share ideas for high school too

---------

From: Grace Hall (gchall_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Fri Oct 17 2003 - 10:57:18 PDT

Hi all and Happy Halloween! I'm sure Judy doesn't mind me "piggy-backing
her post" to ask for some lesson ideas for the older students too. I liked
what Anne suggested about using Edvard Munch, I can adopt that lesson to
high school, I've also used Breugal in a similar way. But our kids are past
making the scary ghosts and spiders. They are finally to the point where
they are interested in knowing the history of why we celebrate this day, why
we costume, and make jack-o-lanterns, because they are starting to form
their own ideas. I'd like to know if there is a website that I can send my
students to see that gives them the objective answers to these questions, in
language they will read.

One of the next projects my students will do is pumpkin decorating. We
donate most of them to Key Club who sends them to hospitals and nursing
homes in the community. I always give students the option of painting or
carving, tho my favorites usually turn out to be carved. Most students opt
for the least messy process, but it's always the most creative students in
the class who don't mind getting messy anyway. I'd like to start this lesson
off this year with a Celtic history of gord use in general. If anyone knows
where I can get some good info on that, as well as any new creative ideas
for pumpkin art, I'd love to hear. I saw the cutest Owl on Martha Stewart
this morning by attaching 2 small pumpkins at the top of a large oval
pumpkin. She has some cool ideas I've used in the past.

Hey Judy! Thanks for allowing me to "piggy back," I can't wait to see what
folks come up with!
Grace

---