Re: Clay on a Cart

---------

From: Dale (dtsafdie_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Thu Oct 16 2003 - 17:41:36 PDT

Hi,

First my disclaimer: I'm a first year art teacher so I have not yet tried
this myself. I've been kind of worried about doing clay in my classroom.
However I just took an inservice this weekend with "the Clay Lady" (Danielle
McDanielle who specializes in doing clay workshops in Tennessee and some
surrounding states in the southeast). I was really impressed with what she
taught. I learned quite a bit about clay and am ready to try to do it myself
in my classroom.

Now my plug for the teacher: She has developed her teaching technique over a
15-20 year period of doing clay workshops in schools, parties, events, etc.
She has simplified the process of taking clay to locations. Her inservice
shows teachers how to teach clay easily and portably. (She has a website
http://www.theclaylady.com/ where she sells supplies and markets her books
about teaching clay.) .

Finally, just a few of the many things she taught:
She recommends a good quality low-fire clay, Standard 105. She said that it
could be used right out of the bag without wedging because of modern mixing
techniques. She cut it into 18 pieces per 25 lb.

She uses the square mats like another poster recommended. She sells a
plastic mat with a paper backing, use paper side up.

She gives students 3 tools. First a toothbrush with a tiny bit of water in a
styrofoam meat tray. This is for joining pieces. (It is all very clean
because there is little water used). A shish-kebab skewer for details and
cutting. A garlic press for older students.
Almost all work is formed on chinette paper products. (She reuses these).

Work is painted immediately with slips. She makes painting stations in coke
crates with a selection of colors.

She then takes the work, dries it, does one firing, and returns it in a
week.
Clean up is done with a baby wipe!

As I said, it was a valuable training. There were many teachers who were
taking the inservice for a second time. She teaches by project but in a way
students can extend upon if they continue to work with clay.

Dale in TN