Elementary ideas (painting - and more)

---------

From: Judy Decker (judydeckeriad_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Thu Oct 16 2003 - 10:34:24 PDT

Dear Elementary Teachers,

Denise's "pudding paint" recipe brought to mind other
list questions about homemade printing inks... I
thought I would take a look and see what I could find
online. I came up short -- but decided to share some
interesting things I did find along the way.

Lots of ideas....
http://www.freekidcrafts.com/kid-painting-ideas.html
This site had some Halloween ideas - I won't be
listing these on our ideas page -- so grab them from
here:
http://www.freekidcrafts.com/kid_halloween_craft_ideas.html

Here is one -- but I don't think this is what I used.
I remember I made a bunch of colors and stored them in
butter dishes. I just don't remember cooking it -- I
did use tempera paint but am thinking it was liquid
paint (as the resource center had a painting class
going at the same time as my printmaking class). I
used the homemade ink for block printing and screen
printing (organza screens)

CORNSTARCH PAINT
Makes a small quantity
Materials:
1 heaping tablespoon cornstarch
3 tablespoons boiling water
Coloring - vegetable dye, food coloring or
powdered paint

In a saucepan, mix cornstarch with a little cold water
to make a smooth white paste. Add the water drop by
drop, stirring all the time. Pour on
boiling water, stirring rapidly, until mixture is
thick, clear and smooth. (If it doesn't thicken, heat
it until it does.) Add color.

This file has tips for using acrylic paints (middle
and high school might be interested -- a link to this
was adding from Ken's printmaking curriculum)
http://www.lawrence.co.uk/fact_sheets/pdfs/chromacryl.pdf

Denise's pudding paint:
This is from the book "Art Fun!" by Kim Solga

Mix 5 cups water, 2 cups white flour, 1/2 cup sugar,
and 3 Tablespoons salt. Pour into saucepan and cook
over medium heat until thick and bubbling (about 7
minutes) Cool well. This can be stored in the
refrigerator in covered containers for several weeks.
Spoon cooled "pudding" into containers
and mix with 1/8 to 1/4 cup powdered or liquid tempera
paint.
Use a craft stick or palette knife to apply. Use heavy
tagboard or cardboard, as it will curl.
Denise Pannell -- Defiance, OH

Unrelated -- but I just found this Andy Warhol
Inspired SHOES lesson (combining with stamping and
collage):
http://www.warhol.org/education/pdfs/03_shoe_stamping.pdf
I didn't see the "blank shoe" drawing but of course,
you would want the kids to draw their own shoe.

Unrelated -- but here is an answer to "how much flour
to add when making paper mache paste?":

"paper mache with one cup of flour and 4 cups of
water. Boil the paper mache stirring frequently just
long enough for it to thicken. Take off the stove
and put in a separate bowl. Add 4 ice cubes and stir
those in. You can make cold paper mache with equal
parts flour and water. It takes more flour and
isn't quite as smooth, but it works just as well."

Easy Mexican Maracas (just thought I would share --
since rattles came up on Getty)

Mexican Maracas

Materials
small balloon
paper mache and strips of newspaper
Make paper mache with one cup of flour and 4 cups of
water. Boil the paper mache stirring frequently just
long enough for it to thicken. Take off the stove and
put in a separate bowl. Add 4 ice cubes and stir those
in. You can make cold paper mache with equal parts
flour and water. It takes more flour and isn't quite
as smooth, but it works just as well.
dried beans or uncooked rice
cardboard tube (toilet paper roll is best)
stickers, paint, markers, construction paper, etc. to
decorate
glue and masking tape

Instructions:
Make a cone using a sheet of paper and pour some beans
or rice into the balloon. Blow up the balloon. Fringe
the toilet paper roll by cutting small lines all the
way round so it lies flat on the balloon bottom and
can be stuck on. Tape the roll onto the balloon, Stuff
the toilet roll with newspaper and put masking tape
over the end. Your maraca should be nice and noisy but
still pop-able. Cover with papier mache
and let dry. Decorate outside as desired.

I have seen folks use light bulbs -- then after the
paper mache hardens - give them a good wack to break
the light bulbs - that makes them rattle.
Home decorating places will save their large round
light bulbs from their displays for you.

Again... not what I was looking for...but here is a
guide to Gyotaku fish
printing using real fish:
http://bluewaterfishrubbings.com/myo.php
Nice brief history of Gyotaku
http://bluewaterfishrubbings.com/history.php

Well.. I have given up on finding out how to make you
own block printing ink...I did find a Getty post from
someone who was curious...wonder what she found out?
If anyone has had success with "homemade" printing
inks -- PLEASE do share what has worked. I will add
your successes to the printmaking lesson plans on
Incredible Art Department.

Judith Decker

=====
Judith Decker