Re: Art Museum Field Trip Ideas - Lynn

---------

From: Judy Decker (judydeckeriad_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Thu Oct 16 2003 - 08:58:34 PDT

Hi Lynn,

This is not an orignal idea...I have seen it in
magazines (although can no longer remember which ones)
and also a coworker did this. Make a mock up museum
using foam core boards. Have many different rooms -
cut door ways going between the rooms. You decide just
how big to make it (your own personal storage space
may determine size). My coworker's was large enough
that post card size prints could be tacked to the
walls (maybe about 2" by 3"?). She used her "museum" a
lot with the students as she had hundreds and hundreds
of small prints (cut from magazines and postcard
size). She also used it in teaching DBAE worskshops --
we displayed our artsy name tags in the museum for
critique.

Upon return from the museum - students could display
images of their favorite works in the museum to talk
about them. Maybe give each student a "room" to fill.
Students could work in groups to present their museum
trip if you have limited time and few rooms. The
museum could be cleared for the next group to present.

While initially it is a lot of work -- the rewards
were great. I am wondering if you could even use some
kind of slit construction so the museum could be
flattened for storage?

Thinking about how the work was presented is a great
idea...and having student come up with alternative
suggestion gets them thinking (do the works tell a
"story"? are they arranged aesthetically? are they
grouped by medium? or by time? and so forth). Great
career based lesson, too. Please share back with the
list how you have revised your field trip experience.
I'll add it to the lesson ideas page. I have some
museum curator links on my Career page (I think...if
not I will find some).

Judith

--- art inmind <artinmind@hotmail.com> wrote:
  Then bring
> 'em back to create a
> better museum or exhibit. I'm trying to work this
> out.. Any good previous
> posts on the subject or ideas out there?
> Lynn

=====
Judith Decker
Incredible Art Department