Re: getting sick from kids

---------

From: Samantha Wilmoth (phoenixfire_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Thu Oct 16 2003 - 01:51:14 PDT

I have a bucket in my classroom that my classroom equipment mgr fills each day along with a little antibacterial soap. We wash off our tables regularly and have a *no kleenex left out rule* :) Most is just retraining..use a tissue..toss it..it's the little things that you never think of having to train/retrain the kids to do..and i have bottles of antibacterial soap too..kids take them to the restrooms when they go and have to make sure that they rinse them off and return them dry too! I ask my parents to donate the soap on a rotating basis.We also discuss in Health foods...the need for rest and etc to keep our bodies healthy. I also use essential oils. I have some eucalyptus and lavendar oil in a water bottle and i spritz the carpet each night before i leave a couple of times a week AND..this is a biggie..i check the heater vents too..finally got a small hand vac with a hose to use to suck out the dust bunnies in there and i wipe down the vents with the oil/water mixture,too.One year we were all getting col
ds in spite of precautions...so being the nosey person i can be when a dilemma is present,i started looking around my room (which is uhm...er...eclectically cluttered/stacked?) :) and decided to start doing that....the colds diminished dramatically!
Anyhow...off i go to start my day...the weekend is near!!
Sincerely,
Samantha

--- Nnaell@aol.com wrote:
"I make the kids sneeze into armpits..."

One thing I do is if a student sneezes, I have him/her rinse off their hands.
 According to our town health nurse, just washing (scrubbing hands together)
under water 30 seconds (no soap necessary) is enough to clean off germs. I
have to say, the fall of my first year is the only time I have been sick. I do
scrub tables, vacuum the room and am constantly washing my hands (mostly
because they get messy). I think that helps.