Re: Found Object Sculpture Themes

---------

From: Samantha Wilmoth (phoenixfire_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed Oct 15 2003 - 18:16:41 PDT

I am using ,,,gues this comes under the heading of Found Art...i am having my kidlets make altered Altoid Tins showing the main ideas of the book The Big Wave by Pearl S Buck...but i was also thinking that they could do projects that show their understanding of concepts in other disciplines as well. For example...plants and plant parts...or creating a Food Web...or showing the Rock Cycle or Water Cycle...or the main ideas of a particular era in time...like prehistoric Ohio, or the Native Nations of Pre-European Ohio...perhaps you could check with one of the academic classes for each grade level and between you and the classroom teacher...decide what topic the other classroom teachers would like to see? Take measurement for example, a math objective that seems to stymie kids on the OPTS here across the grade levels...how about a Found Object display for..What is an Inch? What is a Foot? A Meter? etc....or circles...a display that shows all the parts of a circle and the formulas to determine area and circumfe
rence or something? Characteristics of main characters ...or complete sentences...kids use cut out words to make sentences...lable the complete subject and predicate adn then create an illustration that shows the complete sentences they just crafted.
Anyhow...those are my two cents for now :)
~Samantha

--- "art inmind" <artinmind@hotmail.com> wrote:
I am wondering if anyone has a good motivational theme for creating found
object sculptures in both middle and high school. I have seen the theme of
toys, robots, animated creatures and of course using the principles and
elements of design. I know this has been a discussion before but was hoping
there is more out there.
Lynn

Want to check if your PC is virus-infected? Get a FREE computer virus scan
online from McAfee.