Real Art for Halloween - Share ideas

---------

From: Judy Decker (judydeckeriad_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed Oct 15 2003 - 13:02:10 PDT

Dear Friends in Art Education,

I hate to say this...but folks are searching
Incredible Art Department for Halloween projects...
I am going to see what I can do by coming up with a
list of "ideas" from all of you folks....Hopefully,
I'll get them on a "Holiday Ideas" page in the
future....but right now I can not make promises. I'll
start this thread out.

Linda Woods took a break for her more involved
projects to let the kids do "spooky scenes" - I am not
going to be able to do her post
justice....Anyways....The kids drew all sorts of
parades using white colored pencil on black paper. A
lot of art concepts were involved -- overlapping,
perspective - various vehicles for transportation -
all sorts of creative costumes of the participants.
You could leave this as is -- or cut them out and glue
to another colored paper for contrast.

Here is one I did many years ago with third grade (I
was in a Catholic school at the time - and had no
problem with this lesson) - "Haunted House
Silhouette". I provided lots of pictures of old
Victorian houses for the kids to look at. Students
created a background on white paper using the chalk
stencil technique. Torn manila paper - pastel drawn on
edge and rubbed off -- repeat stencil process to fill
the page - Many of you have used this,I'm sure. These
were done first then set aside. Students worked on a
drawing on what would be the back side of a sheet of
black paper with white colored pencil. Using a ruler -
draw a border about one inch all around to create a
type of frame for the picture. Draw in a line for the
land -- make a path if desired leading up to the
house. Draw a haunted house - simplify details. Add a
large bare branch tree (using the Y's technique -
having branches touch the borders) -- add fences -
Jack-o-lanterns - anything they desire. Cut out the
negative spaces on the black paper - including the
path leading up to the house (we talked a little about
one point perspective here). Cut out windows of the
house - spaces between branches -- and so forth. I
even let students use some X-acto knives I had (these
were very good kids). Once all of the shapes are cut
out - It is OK to have floating ghosts - flying bats
and such too - just lay them right side down where
they go -- dot glue on the drawn side of all shapes
and around border (just tiny dots). Lay the chalk
stenciled background on top and gently smooth to be
sure everything sticks. Turn over and admire
everything cut in silhouette. I did have one student
who felt he could not do a Halloween theme - and he
did his hamster and hamster wheel - It was one of the
best ones! (I'm thinking he may have put a spider web
in the corner though to make a bit spooky -- just
can't remember it clearly now). This may have taken
two class periods for all to complete - but certainly
not more than that. I had an Edward Hopper painting
and Henri Rousseau painting that I used as reference
- sorry - I do not have titles right now - but both
had silhouette type look to them (Hopper a house up on
a hill - and Rousseau trees - Rousseau was Carnival
something or other). These third graders were the only
grade level that did "Halloween art"

I did have the fourth graders at the time do a
symmetrical mask drawing/painting using complimentary
colors (for that, we looked at many pictures of masks
from many cultures -- from books - pre-computer days
for me). This lesson took maybe three class periods?
Small details were colored heavily with crayon - while
that large shapes - and negative shape was painted
with tempera.

(This is a one day idea, too) Second graders made cut
paper relief masks -- learning all about symmetry and
secondary colors - and paper sculpture techniques -
learning to cut two of everything - these were cut
from 9 x 12 and scrap papers and glued to 9 x 12
black construction paper to stick out in relief
(folded tent like). This was a one day lesson. We got
all of these "Halloween related" art projects up in
time to do displays around the school.

No need to repost the Days of the Dead ideas you have
already shared - I hope I saved all of those already
-There were many skeleton ideas posted.

Share your Halloween idea that is "real art". I know
art teachers don't like to be viewed as a means to
decorate the rooms and building for holidays.

Judith

=====
Judith Decker
Incredible Art Department