Re: Native American Rattles

---------

From: Samantha Wilmoth (phoenixfire_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Tue Oct 14 2003 - 20:40:52 PDT

I had seen this rattle before,too..but decided to make it during African studies instead seeing as most of the resources i found were kenyan....such as this one:

http://www.motherlandrhythmart.com/images/ghana/shakers&rattles/yrattle.jpg

http://www.hmml.org/resources/EthiopiaExhibit/Rattle.html

here is an excellent source for multicultural instruments..they even have sound bytes of many of the different instruments as well

http://larkinthemorning.com//category.asp?c=72&

if anyone out there has an authentic source for the Y shaped rattles,i would love to know as well please
~Samantha

--- "Broadwater, Katherine" <KBroadwater@towson.edu> wrote:
Hello,
I have a student who is working on a lesson involving the creation of Native American musical instruments. She found a website - www.enchantedlearning.com and looked under "Native American activities and found "Y shaped rattles" to be Native American. I asked her to do more research regarding this specific type of rattle, where it originated, the history, etc. but she is coming up empty handed. She is having trouble finding information on the Native American rattles in general but specifically the "Y shaped" variety.

Does anyone out there have info on the "Y Shaped rattle" or suggestions for helpful websites?

Thank you

(rz{e˛mmgz֬,_+ax"+!{.n+zwZnV隊[hygzݶML+-'

---