Re: Watercolor pencils

---------

From: Judy Decker (judydeckeriad_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Tue Oct 14 2003 - 10:38:05 PDT

Hi Kara,

I will share some sucessful units I have done --and
seen:

I have never used water color pencils for a lesson on
Georgia O'Keeffe but I have seen many others use then
with great success -- as young as third grade.
Students have the best success when they blend related
colors to shade the flower petals - keeps the flowers
fresh. Some have used them with the black glue outline
-but that is not necessary. There are many ways to
introduce Georgia O'Keeffe without doing flowers if
you wish a different subject matter (As Georgia said -
"Fill the space in a beautiful way"). My students
enjoyed using real fish combined with flowers and live
plants. Here is a lesson from Ken Schwab that can
easily be adapted to watercolor pencils:
http://www.princetonol.com/groups/iad/lessons/high/ken-water.htm

A project that was a huge success with my sixth
graders was sports action figures:
http://www.princetonol.com/groups/iad/lessons/middle/Lessons/6-sports.htm

This is one I had revised from several years ago.
Originally, it was just a contour line drawing
(figures showing movement in varius sizes) in felt tip
marker (ones the would bleed lightly) with the
negative space colored with the watercolor pencils and
wet in wet washes. While I liked the look of the
finished works - my kiddles at the time wanted to
paint their figures too...so I learned that the next
time I would change the lesson. The change worked
great. Sorry, I have no examples to share from this
one.

Develop a lesson around a subject that interests your
students.

Hope this helps,

Judith

--- Kara LiCausi <klicausi@northport.k12.ny.us> wrote:
> I would like to develop a lesson for my 7th
> graders...does anybody have any suggestions?
> Thanks so much for any help you can offer.
> Sincerely,
> Kara in Northport

=====
Judith Decker