Find Lesson Plans on! GettyGames

Wire Project ideas needed for Gloria

From: Judy Decker (judydeckeriad_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Mon Oct 13 2003 - 19:18:00 PDT

Dear ArtsEdNetters,

Gloria is having trouble getting her posts to come
through so we are trying an experiment. Gloria - when
you click reply - make sure ArtsEdNet is in the reply.
I am sending you cc just be be sure you get the post.

Gloria needs wire projects for all grade levels...
Post any successful projects you have done -- or links
you might have.

The favorite of many is the nylon stocking sculpture
-Wire - knee high hose stretched over - gesso'd and
painted. You can find examples on the following sites:
Sharon Kennedy, Bunki Kramer, Renee Berge, Andy
DiConti and Carolyn Roberts. There is a lesson plan
that has been on Incredible Art Department for a
number of years and Sharon Kennedy has a lesson plan
as well. Find list member sites:
Well..What do you know - the lesson plan is from Becky
Thorton - Getty list member:
 (Becky, if you are reading, are you the one who
started this great project?)

Contour sculpture wire hands (inspired by Calder) was
shared a month ago... I have been pokey getting that
one in the files for sharing--NOW I will get it done
(check back tomorrow - I've been meaning to get a
bunch of hands projects shared all at once -- but will
do that wire hands alone).

Calder Circus:

Telephone wire baskets:

Chistine Sumner Lyman has wire figures on her site
(see my Art Teacher page)

My Heroes figures began with a wire armature:

My Oaxacan animals began with a wire armature:

I have made figures and animals out of copper wire
many times (resource center wnd while subbing). At the
Art Resource center - we secured them on wood bases
for a finished look. Funny, I still have a little wire
man I made in high school. I made a bunch of those for

Add on this list -- Glora needs all grade levels.
Links to sites and plans you might have, too.
Gloria, I used my Abstract Sculpture pages with my
students for the nylon hose lesson - I did plaster
addition. (links may be outdated):

I have a links page for Calder:

I have seen some very nice wire Gesture figures on
someone's site -- but can not remember whose - or
where it was.

Tell us a bit more what you have in mind, Gloria.

Judith Decker

Judith Decker
Incredible Art Department
Incredible Art Department