Re: The Future of the ArtsEdNet List

---------

From: Sid Miller (sidmill_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Mon Oct 13 2003 - 12:34:28 PDT

Many years ago the Getty set up DBAE with the mission of bringing content and
substance to art programs as opposed to just "cutsie-outsie-pasties-onsies"
programs. They had great seminars for art teachers and admin. They started
the list. At that time they had a big interest in education. About 5 years
ago they decided to eliminate art education as part of their program and move
in different directions to promote the arts. I think their main interest is in
ancient art and they didn't relish having wild groups of children in their
gorgeous new, expensive complex. Leilani Duke was the director and she
announced this at a NAEA conference. She is no longer at the Getty--neither
are the people who were instrumental in setting up Artsednet. The list is a
hold-over program that is outside of their current programs, and for that
reason we are on kind of shakey ground. Obviously the strong interest of our
members has been noted, but we are not really in any position to demand
anything--it's not that kind of relationship. I think we should appreciate
what we have--hit the delete button, and be happy about it. Sid

---