Re: Judy/GARLANDS (like the connection?)

---------

From: BRP Books (books_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Mon Oct 13 2003 - 09:47:19 PDT

No flaming on this list! NO NO NO. Picking and snipping is not becoming to
any of us - in fact, it shocks me. We have much much much more important and
enjoyable things to discuss. PLEASE! [ And we have higher standards to hold
ourselves to --- standards to set for the kids we teach. Let us not sink to
the level of middle schoolers!]

Now, I'm for discussing art. Anyone else?

Here's a fun EASY idea:
**Garlands**
printed with permission from the book "Scribble Art"

Materials
Collect paper and lightweight materials such as:
   art tissue cut in shapes
   beads
   buttons
   collage items
   crepe paper scraps
   cupcake liners
   drinking
   straws, cut in short lengths
   packing peanuts
   paper scraps pastas with holes
   ribbon spools

Process
1. Wrap a piece of tape around the end of the yarn or string to make a
simple
needle. Or, dunk the end of the yarn or string in white glue, melted
paraffin, or clear nail polish. Let it set until hard. A third choice is to
thread a plastic darning needle which has a large eye. Keep yarn or thread
to a comfortable length, from 12 inches to 36 inches depending on the age or
skill of the artist.
2. Any object with a hole in it or light enough to have a hole made in it is
suitable for threading on a garland. Begin threading materials in a random
fashion or with a planned pattern.
3. When one string is filled, tie a knot and then tie it to another string
make a longer garland. Many garlands can be joined to make one very long,
colorful display.
4. Hang from the ceiling in a draping fashion, around the windows or
doors, or around a special person.

Variations
- Follow a self-made pattern of threading such as: two yellow flowers, one
bead, one straw --- then repeat two yellow flowers, one bead, one straw, and
so on.
- Create a Hawaiian lei with art tissue flower shapes and paper cupcake
liners with sections of cut drinking straws to separate them. Use elastic
cord for necklace or lei creations.
- Create a holiday garland for Christmas with red, green, gold, and
silver decorations. Use any colors that suggest a particular holiday or time
of year: green, yellow, light blue for Spring. Red, pink, white for
Valentine's Day.
- Create a theme garland with materials that suggest such ideas as outer
space, gardening, or litter/recycling.

Comment: Artists can create imaginative garlands from almost anything
lightweight that can be pierced and threaded with colorful yarn, and then
draped about the room for special occasions or everyday enjoyment. Garlands
also make festive necklaces or leis.

--
books@brightring.com
MaryAnn Faubion Kohl