Re: discipline idea for elementary (middle too?)

---------

From: Judy Decker (judydeckeriad_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Mon Oct 13 2003 - 08:24:00 PDT

Thanks Carolyn for the memories...

> When I want my students' attention I will say "One,
> two, three all eyes on
> me" and they respond with "Yessiree Mrs. B!"
>
> The little ones love to say that back to me.

I was only elementary for two years -- but my kiddles
loved this too. I felt a bit silly saying the rhyme
with my middlers.

Colored strip discipline:

I just wanted to share a system that did work with my
elementary kids. I got the idea from the third grade
teachers who had been using it for years (I had
observed one while getting re-certified - so saw her
method in place- Magic!). While my rules were
different - the process was the same (although each
kid had an envelope on a chart in their rooms). I had
six rules - and each rule had a different colored
strip (I just pasted the strip beside each rule on the
chart). Each class had an envelope to put strips in
for the day. At the end of the day then I would look
at the strips and evaluate each infraction -- look on
my class record to see frequency and so on - record
ones that needed to be recorded. All I had to do was
say was so and so get a green strip and put your name
on it....the class would get as quiet as can be. I
also had the kids who could - write what happened on
the strip in their own words. I don't remember now
what colors went with what rules - but you get the
idea - I do know that rule no. 1 "Follow directions
the first time" was Red - I bet I followed the
rainbow. This also took care of the "well so and so
was talking too" - as I would say I heard and saw you
-- this is just your warning - I evaluate each
infraction at the end of the day. If they continued to
disrupt - then I added a check to the strip -- or they
got a different color - whatever. I did have some
simple writing assignments that I gave the kids.
Whenever I gave a writing assignment, I also called
the parents to explain.

I even did the strips with my middle school kids one
year and it worked -- but them just went to my form -
leaving out the strip gathering.

I am working on getting Jancy's Target files shared -
but this just came to mind today so I thought I would
throw the idea out there. Leslie's story about a sub
punishing a whole class by taking their recess away
somehow made me think of this. I do hope she can help
get that situation resolved. Second graders need a
recess. The strip process worked like magic with those
third grade teachers....and those kids sure made great
middle school students a few years later.

Judith

=====
Judith Decker
Incredible Art Department