The Future of the ArtsEdNet List

---------

From: Maggie Tucker (arttucker_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Mon Oct 13 2003 - 06:41:15 PDT

Here's one of those e-mail I get to begin with: "I'm no expert, BUT. . ."

The J.Paul Getty Trust has billions of dollars. (Like most of us suffering
through these times, those billions aren't earning lots in the market, but
nevertheless, the billions remain.) Its primary mission is to further the
arts through advocacy and education. It has endowed a hugh museum complex
and begun this list serve
(with much fanfare) over the past few years in support of its primary
mission. If it doesn't support those activities, it ceases to exist.

While I'm not such a fool as to believe complacently that the Getty will be
forever, and so will the list, I also understand the immense public
relations problems the Board of the Trust would face should it close the
list completely. This list has done too much good. Once it ceases to be
used for idea exchanges (and thus, positive feedback to the Board) it
ceases to exist.

I would remind us all the list is not moderated. There is no one at Getty
who checks to see we are all giving peace a chance. (I also believe in one
voice, one vote, but that's for a separate list, I believe.)

Server problems suffered last year haven't been as prevalent this year,
have they? THEN WHY ARE WE ALL ACTING LIKE CHICKEN LITTLES?

I am addressing this to the entire list because it seems to me several of
us are frightened unnecessairly.
Keep the ideas coming. Leave the acrimony and the high-minded comments
off-list, please.

Maggie Tucker

arttucker@earthlink.net

---