Re: Wood pieces

---------

From: Judy Decker (judydeckeriad_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun Oct 12 2003 - 20:54:06 PDT

Hi Rachel,

They sound like perfect size bodies for Oaxacan folk
art animals (Alebrijes). Kids love making them. Cut
some of them down to make head and neck sizes. I would
recommend buying some wood strips for the legs and
cutting them all at the same time. When I made them, I
taped four pieces of wood together with masking tape
in several places -- then I just cut -- didn't measure
at all. I ended up with all sorts of legs lengths
--but had four taped together so they were in sets -
kids just had to pick up a set. I had all sorts of
other scrap wood too - odd shapes (I raded the mill
shops all the time -so my wood was free). We glued
them together with wood glue and taped everything
until the glue set up. Lots of links have been posted
to the list for ideas. I have some on my site (under
folks art):
http://www.princetonol.com/groups/iad/lessons/middle/mexico.htm

Linda woods is going to be sharing some her students
did soon.

5 inches by 3 inches are also the perfect size for
stands for other sculptures -- wire figures and such -
or plaster addition figures. I used that size for
bases for my foil tooled masks. We mounted them on a
dowel -- inserted the dowel into hole in the wood
base. I usually had the kids paint their bases black.

Judith

Lots of
--- Ronikul@aol.com wrote:
> Does anyone have any ideas what to do with wood
> pieces? I have wood pieces
> that are about 5 inches by 3 inches. Thanks,
> Rachel
>

> ---
> judydeckeriad@yahoo.com
> leave-artsednet-20359V@lists.getty.edu