Re: Attention getters and discipline ideas

---------

From: Theresa Parker (tlparker77_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun Oct 12 2003 - 18:26:45 PDT

While student teaching I decided to invest in a beautiful three-tone chime
that you strike with a small wooden mallet. I found this in a new age store
that also has crystals and other interesting items. The tones it makes are
exquisite and resonate thoughout the classroom. The students' attention is
grabbed immediately and there seems to be a positive air in the class.
Most of their teachers do a 5-beat clap that the students repeat in
response. I chose to get away from this to set a different tone (pun
intended:)) in the art classroom.

Theresa in WA

> However, I had good experiences using a bell to get attention,
>because
>it was classy--real brass with ornate decoration, made in India. Had a
>great
>sound and sometimes I appointed designated student bell ringers. So we
>never thought of it as insulting or Pavlovian. The "flicking the lights"
>method was not for me--too hard for my eyes to adjust.
>
> Ann-on-y-mouse in Columbus
> Art teacher, K-5, retired
>

> > I hate the flicking the lights or ringing the bell thing.
>

>---

Get McAfee virus scanning and cleaning of incoming attachments. Get Hotmail
Extra Storage! http://join.msn.com/?PAGE=features/es

---