Re: Combining computer technology and art in the classroom

---------

From: Patricia Knott (pknott_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun Oct 12 2003 - 14:34:33 PDT

Thank you Kevan for posting this comprehensive outline of your course.
I have a similar situation
    because we have a fine arts requirement I have many kids signing up
for the computer class with little art background

   but I don't care My effort is to engage ALL the kids and the computer
class draws them.

I also want to engage them in a meaningful way giving real assignments
beyond the "noise" of Photoshop. Excuse my reference, but I have a bunch
of "nerdy" boys in my computer class and they are just my delight this
year. They want to know; they are open to suggestion and they make my day
go so well. Their wonder makes me wonder, they teach me as well as I
teach them and their perception for the boundaries of art making makes me
smile every day.

And what goes on my class only makes me wonder more and more what
"observation" is... they can't draw and I have no intentions of limiting
their creativity to the boundaries of the traditional techniques.

I hope more and more art teachers will find the ways of the new technologies
the ways that engage and give legitimacy to what art making is. I think it
is time that art ed explore, to the fullest, where are is going rather than
where it has been.

Don't forget the nerds.

Thanks Kevan. I see the sophistication of the ideas these kids present.

Patty

---