Re: Attention getters and discipline ideas

---------

From: Patricia Knott (pknott_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun Oct 12 2003 - 13:21:26 PDT

I have a collection of sounds for attention - a neat bell that is rubbed
like crystal, a wooden whistle that sounds like a train, and my own little
noises. Right now I speak through hand puppets and I teach high school!!!
I still find it all Pavlovian and what's the treat?
In the real world, on a job attention is expected but then again I
have been in plenty of meetings (with adults) when cell phones go off and
divert attention -- so it's respect that needs to be taught.
I'm an old fogie. I was taught to respect. and it's a hard job for me to
understand the lack of respect that goes on today and that's not just in
the classroom it's from the TOP down in all aspects of our lives.
intrusive disregard is the expected , not respectful regard
I can't blame the kids, they are not getting it at home, why would I expect
it at school? How many times have I witnessed them being totally
disrespectful to their parents in conferences? why should I expect
anything different in the classroom and why would I think a bell will solve
this?
and once I think I have attention do I really? These kids have as many
tricks to pretend to attention as we have to get it. They might be silent
but they are not listening!
I've been teaching Photo for 10 years. All the lessons that have been tried
and true for me are going right over their heads this year they are not
listening nor are they watching the demonstrations. I see their eyes going
all over the place rather than on me. And I'm getting weary of calling on
names to bring attention to. I use peer teaching BUT somebody has to watch
me first.
I suspect traditional photo technique is far less than pushing a button
and it happens yet I face a generation that only knows pushing a button
and it happens So how do I get them to listen? Through mistakes that
lead to disappointment? I need more than a bell.
Patty