Find Lesson Plans on! GettyGames

Pat Steir's art work

From: Judy Decker (judydeckeriad_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun Oct 12 2003 - 13:09:09 PDT

Ian...did you post Pat Steir? I am sorry I didn't save
your post. I am going through my "to do" list and
found this post I made....So if you did post Pat
Steir, folks can take a look at her work...If not --
it is worth taking a look anyway. Beautiful work!

"Looking for the Mountain" by Pat Steir:
This is part of:
Smithsonian American Museum: Director's Choice.

I read every page on this one - then listened to every

"When she wants to, she uses words with the same
deliberate intention that she uses for visual elements
in her art. She wrote on one print "Form
Illusion Myth"-the three stages of understanding. Form
implies the processing of data from our senses.
Illusion is the synthetic picture that we make out of
this information. Myth is the meaning we attach to the

Here is a lesson plan you can use with kids - and
tweak a bit - very doable:
They will become "Steir-scapes" many ways to
adapt it to get the messages across the Pat Steir is
giving us. We (my sixth graders and I) discussed these
ideas - I just didn't know of Pat Steir at the time, I
could have made the lesson so much better.

You can look at the rest of the exhibit at your

Pat Steir:
She is a painter who also makes prints:
From Pace Prints:

"Pat Steir's paintings and prints have been described
as a conversation with the past -- specifically with
certain art historical movements, from Abstract
Expressionism to Romanticism to traditional Chinese
painting. Working with these influences, Pat Steir
explores the nature of visual signs, symbols, and
natural phenomena." Pace site

From Crown Point Press - working in the studio: (five pages
of images)
Crown Point Press even calls her a printmaker - so I
guess we can, too). Some of these are also on Crown
Point Press:
From Spraightwood:
Artnet - six pages:

and this link:

Thanks Ian for letting us know. No need to correct my
error if I am thinking of a different I
said, I didn't save the original post today (I knew I
could be mistaken - memory isn't what it used to be --

Judith Decker
Incredible Art Department
Incredible Art Department
Incredible Art Resources