Email viruses

---------

From: Lawrence A. Parker (occti_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun Oct 12 2003 - 11:01:17 PDT

Without ANY intent to offend ANYONE,...

As I have had email viruses explained to me, what many of them will do is:

1) infect a host computer;
2) 'steal' email addresses from the host's address book;
3) start sending out email, with itself attached so it can re-infect a new
computer, WITH THE ADDRESSES ITS "STOLEN" PLACED IN THE "FROM:" BOX. "Subject:"
lines may be generated by the virus program or may also be stolen.

So, the brunt of the matter is that the virus is most likely NOT on Judy's
computer, but on the computer of someone who has her email address in their
address book. To check this, Judy, does the email address one member posted in
her email look at all familiar? If not, then I have no other explanation. As I
said, this is how it was explained to me. More than that, I knoweth not.

And, as long as we're on a list, with how many members?, active discussion of
viruses is, I think, a worthwhile topic, in that it helps to maintain the health
of the list, the pc's of everyone involved, and to stop viruses as they try to
spread.

Lawrence A. Parker
Philosopher and Educational Consultant

---