Re: Attention getters and discipline ideas

---------

PrimaryE_at_TeacherArtExchange
Date: Sun Oct 12 2003 - 10:16:06 PDT

In a message dated 10/12/03 11:30:38 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
allgaul@comcast.net writes:
> So to get their attention during work time, I
> start counting backwards from 5 in a normal voice. When I get to 1, everyone
> is expected to have their eyeballs on me. They do not have to be in their
> seats, they just need to stop doing work completely

I loved everything you had to say. I'll add my two cents too. For six years
I was at a high school where discipline was a problem. The administration
seemed to be afraid of the students, to an extent. Detention after school was
about 40 minutes so think about it. A student could disrupt 4 classes during
the day or cut 4 classes and get detention for 40 minutes, where they could do
their homework. There was no shame at being in detention. If anything, it
was kind of cool.

Now I'm at an elementary school where the principal talks to the kids about
respect and learning. He's wonderful. Sending a student to the principal's
office would probably cause him or her to cry. I'm not saying that some classes
don't have chatterboxes. I guess for me the biggest challenge is
kindergarten and first grade. Now I'd like to make another point. I see a total
crossover with how students are with me and how they are with their teachers. They
show me the same cooperation. Some of the younger bilingual classes are a
challenge too. I don't speak spanish but with the help of a few students who speak
English and some key words, that's getting better. They learn English
quickly. I'm not a bell or lights person either. Elementary students are so
adorable. I treat them with respect. In our school the principal calls them
ladies and gentleman. I must admit that's hard for me to do. lol They love when
I tell them that I taught at the high school. They feel that they're grown up
to have me as their teacher.

I think it's really rough teaching high school students or middle school
students who don't listen and are disrepectful but as I said, I think it comes
down from the top. If you don't have the support of your school administration,
it's very difficult. My life is so much more pleasant this year. I actually
look forward to going to work every day. The teachers are happy. The teachers
are therefore friendly. The students are happy and I'm happy.

---