Chuck Close on Princeton Webmedia

---------

From: C Gaul (allgaul_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun Oct 12 2003 - 08:38:19 PDT

I began watching the Chuck Close lecture last night. I got about a third of
the way through it and remembered what it was like back in college days with
art history right after lunch...'Art in the Dark' as we would call it, and
the unbearable urge to snooze.....*grin*
The lecture was great, from what I saw before I became comatose. I will pick
it up later in the day time...BEFORE a meal...anyway, he spoke of his
progression in his work, and how he had a real need to explore what was
difficult, to avoid becoming very good at what he did, to push himself in
many new directions. The slides were pretty good online, but I found that if
they went to the next one too quickly during the lecture the streaming video
didn't refresh itself quickly enough to get a real good look at the shot.
(The stream was a still shot every few seconds, maybe at a 7-10 second
interval with my connection last night. I have cable modem, but was watching
it from my laptop with a linksys wireless card, so it might have been a lag
problem with this)
If anyone is doing the gridded enlargement projects with highschoolers, you
might want to take a look. It would even be a nice 'homework' assignment for
the kids to watch it at home if they are able.

If you want to 'see and hear' Chuck Close, you can go to
http://www.princeton.edu/WebMedia/lectures/ and choose your download speed.

Cathy

"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts
can be counted. - Einstein"

---