Find Lesson Plans on! GettyGames

Re: Scrap glass firing

From: louise dawkins (ms_wez_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun Oct 12 2003 - 08:10:34 PDT

The scraps of glass have to have the same coefficient or they won't fuse well, they will break apart after cooling. You need to cover the kiln shelves with a heavy coat of kiln wash. The glass will melt at different temperatures due to their coefficient can't really say what is a general temperature. Enameling is 1450.

Aust ArtClasses <> wrote: Scrap glass firing, I have never tried this. I have a lot of
scrap glass from stain glass projects I do. Can this be fired
in the same Kiln you do your clay firing (at different times).
If so, what cone do you use, how long do you fire, Any
information is appreciative, I have never done this and would
like to try, maybe some projects you have done using scrap glass.

Jackie Brewer (Aust)
Bryan High School
Bryan Texas 77802 (Art Classes) Mail)
Phone 979.731.7381