Re: Attention getters and discipline ideas ( a different idea)

---------

From: artappeal (artappeal_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun Oct 12 2003 - 07:19:38 PDT

Re: Attention getters and discipline ideas ( a different idea)I agree with a
lot of Patti's post and I have a few comments. First, I agree that
sometimes teachers are as bad as students with the talking, but I think it's
for the same reasons. Boredom, lack of egagement, and it also gets
tiresome to be asked for input and then ignored, which often happens.

Now as far as using a bell to get students' attention, I just look at it as
a signal, the same as saying, "May I have your attention." When you teach
elementary students seven classes a day, you do a lot of talking and
anything that can save you even just a few words can help. Just spend some
time at an elementary school and see how many teachers get laryngitis each
winter. Also, with elementary students it's hard to get their attention not
because they're bored, but because they're so engaged that they do not want
to stop working, not even to clean up. So, good points, but all is not
always what it seems.

Leah