Re: non messy projects

---------

From: Maggie White (mwhiteaz_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sat Oct 11 2003 - 19:14:36 PDT

Linda E wrote:
> I think everything (paint, chalks, cray-pas) I do is messy. We take so
> much time setting and cleaning up each classroom (I am on a cart). What
> projects do you do that come out nice, but without all the mess?

Well, Linda, your post helped me put things in perspective--at least I
have a classroom! There's no sink--my new double room after T-giving
will have two--so I've been trying to find non-messy activities besides
all the drawing. The younger kids (5th and 6th graders) really enjoyed
anything that involved colored paper, cutting, and gluing (okay, a bit
messy, but not too bad if you manage it right). Their last assignment
of the quarter was also their favorite--Bunki's cut paper collage a la
Matisse. They are sure-fire successful; you can teach scissor skills
and gluing techniques as well as line, shape, overlap, and color
relationships. We extended the idea with some of that clear mylar I
mentioned last week, inserting the finished collages inside the book
jacket material and coloring on top with Sharpies.

Cardboard or matboard loom weaving is also blessedly clean and keeps 'em
quiet.

Maggie

---