Find Lesson Plans on! GettyGames

Re: non messy projects

From: Maggie White (mwhiteaz_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sat Oct 11 2003 - 19:14:36 PDT

Linda E wrote:
> I think everything (paint, chalks, cray-pas) I do is messy. We take so
> much time setting and cleaning up each classroom (I am on a cart). What
> projects do you do that come out nice, but without all the mess?

Well, Linda, your post helped me put things in perspective--at least I
have a classroom! There's no sink--my new double room after T-giving
will have two--so I've been trying to find non-messy activities besides
all the drawing. The younger kids (5th and 6th graders) really enjoyed
anything that involved colored paper, cutting, and gluing (okay, a bit
messy, but not too bad if you manage it right). Their last assignment
of the quarter was also their favorite--Bunki's cut paper collage a la
Matisse. They are sure-fire successful; you can teach scissor skills
and gluing techniques as well as line, shape, overlap, and color
relationships. We extended the idea with some of that clear mylar I
mentioned last week, inserting the finished collages inside the book
jacket material and coloring on top with Sharpies.

Cardboard or matboard loom weaving is also blessedly clean and keeps 'em