Re: Attention getters and discipline ideas ( a different idea)

---------

From: Patricia Knott (pknott_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sat Oct 11 2003 - 13:40:44 PDT

I am always curious about attention getting techniques and always wonder how
kids have lost the ability to come to attention without some "trick." I
often find that when I am in groups of teachers their behavior is just as
bad as the kids --- faculty meetings where I can't hear what is being said
because of the complaining voices behind me, classes where an adult sits
and does a crossword puzzle while the instructor is trying to instruct,
and, I was in a workshop once where the teacher banter was so awful the
facilitator flicked the lights to get attention, and I was so insulted
and I was embarrassed that the teacher behavior was so bad.

and then I wondered what I do to get attention and how it may be insulting
to kids and just why they don't come to attention
my attention wanders all the time
I live in a world of bombardment, infringement I live in a world with a
bunch of junk asking for my attention that I just don't want to pay
attention to the kids feel the same
they turn off the teacher just like they turn off anything that doesn't grab
attention for more than a nano second
they come to school because they have to and they feel little obligation to
participate in the have to They are bombarded with stuff that are told
they have to know and most times they have no clue why they have to know
put yourself in the child's place and wonder like they do why I have to
know this?

Attention comes with engagement and purpose and feeling part of the process.
I firmly believe that if the student believes he/she is a voice in the
establishing of the process the discipline will follow. This is contrary to
how I was taught or how I learned. But know, I look everyday to ways I make
the learning meaningful to their lives so getting attention is not a matter
of paying attention to what I want.

I hated school when I was kid. I always think about what it was that I
hated. I hated the rules and the conformity and I hated being bored and I
think about that all the time when I teach - am I doing something that I
would have hated when I was a kid?

This job is so hard it gets harder all the time
and I won't do tricks because my kids are not dogs

and I'm wondering how often teachers do things they are not comfortable with
but do it because they feel some pressure that this is the way to do it?
Patty

---