Re: Attention getters and discipline ideas

---------

From: Rick (rlarson_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sat Oct 11 2003 - 08:09:41 PDT

To get my fifth and 6th gr's attention, I walk to the front of the room, sit on
my stool, and say, in a normal to soft voice, " I;ll know when your ready to
begin". and then I start looking around to see who is looking at me, I keep a
straight face
and will not raise my voice. It might take a minute or two, but eventually,
they all stop their chatting and get quiet. Then I say, ( if it is a class that
likes to talk more than work) I printed alot of "money" ( art bucks- thanks Judy
!!) this morning, and I would like to give everyone some today for hard,
thoughtful, work.( this gives them incentive to stay focused. ) The worst
offenders are new to our school kids. I might talk to them after class about
how I know they will contribute to our class, and how happy I am that they have
moved to our school. I have 30 in each class. I have to have order, or I will
go bonkers. I try to praise often, that way, if I have to call a kid on
excessive talking, they know that
I am not just picking on them. Artappeal is right with the consistency- get a
routine for when then enter the room, and stick to it.
Betsy

artappeal wrote:

> First off, whatever system you choose, be consistent. Once you have your
> students for a few years starting in kindergarten, it will be so much

---