Re: Attention getters and discipline ideas

---------

From: artappeal (artappeal_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sat Oct 11 2003 - 06:22:45 PDT

First off, whatever system you choose, be consistent. Once you have your
students for a few years starting in kindergarten, it will be so much
easier. Each year you can refine, or slightly change things until you find
what works for you. I found that complicated charts and reward systems
didn't work for me, at one time I had 35 classes a week and I just couldn't
keep up. I have a daily smile chart (one lamenated for each day with enough
room for all the classes that day for a month. It is reusable month to month
and year to year, just clean it off) with specific behaviors needed by the
majority of the class to earn a smile. I used to have a class reward after
so many smiles, but all the free things I came up with took up too much
instructional time (some ideas, though, are art games, free-choice centers,
cd day). I now say the reward is having a pleasant, fun class with lots of
learning and good artistic results. Many classroom teachers also check the
chart, which is right by the door, so there is an added incentive to earn a
smile. To get students' attention, I ring a bell. It's annoying, but it
works. Some teachers/administrators frown on it, I guess comparing it to
Pavlov's dogs. However, it saves my voice and nobody at my school minds.

Our music teacher has a great system in which students earn points for the
way they come into the room, get ready for instruction/follow directions,
participate, prepare to leave, and line up. After so many points, students
vote on a fun, yet musical class activity from a list that she prepared.
I've considered switching to this idea, but I'm afraid I won't keep up with
the points.

One more idea (from this list), I write NOISE on the board and erase a
letter when it gets too loud. When noise gets to no, no more talking or
help from me because I become the talking police. I still need to get a
police hat for when that happens.

Hope some of this helps,
Leah