RE: Attention getters and discipline ideas

---------

From: WIEDERHOEFT MEAGAN (M.Wiederhoeft_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Fri Oct 10 2003 - 10:47:46 PDT

I know an art teacher who has gotten books on CD (like books on tape) and played them for the class while they work. Helps free up the teacher and saves the vocal chords! They love the Harry Potter series.

I use a system with my elementary students in which they receive a check by their name on my seating chart each time they are caught breaking a rule (small infractions like talking out of turn, being out of their seat, distracting others, goofing off, etc.). The first check is a warning/reminder of the rule. The second check is a 5 min. time out. They have to put their head down at their table with their eyes covered, stop working and sit THINKING ABOUT HOW THEY WILL DO BETTER for 5 min. If they get a third check (rare) I then have them fill out a letter to their parents ( I made a form that leaves blanks for them to fill in) and they sign it, I sign it, the classroom teacher signs it, and their parents must sign it and send it back to school with them the next day. I try to really stick to this and for the most part, it works well for me. The most important thing is consistency. I usually don't even have to make the actual check on my seating chart, just the verbal cue is enough for the students. This system works for most of my students, when I have a specific student with more chronic behavior problems, I work out a plan for that individual student.

Hope this is of some help.
Good luck!
Meagan
WI Art Teacher