RE: Attention getters and discipline ideas

---------

From: Sears, Ellen (ESears_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Fri Oct 10 2003 - 08:38:33 PDT

My kids love it (k-8) , and I love their reaction to it too - but my throat
doesn't! Any pointers?

> I know that there are some people on this list that don't approve of
> reading to kid while they work, but it works great for me. It builds
> community because we are all experiencing the book together, furthers my
> curriculum in ways i wouldn't normally be able to because of time
> constraints, and keeps the kids from turning art class into "recess with
> art supplies." Remember, most of these kids do not have anyone who reads
> to them.

Also - they retain the information better if their hands are working while
the material is being read - some of our classroom teachers have their kids
draw while they are reading to them - imagine that - it is okay to draw in
class!

Ellen

---