Re: Attention getters and discipline ideas

---------

From: Jane Altshuler (Jane_Altshuler_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Fri Oct 10 2003 - 07:52:13 PDT

I read them a book while they work. They can't wait to hear it and shhh
the others when they talk. Here are two great reads for 5th and 6th
graders - Dave at Night and Coraline. We haven't gotten to the end of
Coraline yet, but the kids like it because it's creepy. Dave at Night
turned into a great lead in for the Harlem Renaissance and it's about a
boy that draws well. I'm reading a "Dear America" book about the Northern
Migration called Color Me Dark to my 4th graders. It will lead us into
Jacob Lawrence's great migration series.

I know that there are some people on this list that don't approve of
reading to kid while they work, but it works great for me. It builds
community because we are all experiencing the book together, furthers my
curriculum in ways i wouldn't normally be able to because of time
constraints, and keeps the kids from turning art class into "recess with
art supplies." Remember, most of these kids do not have anyone who reads
to them.

I even read books to my AP kids. They love David Sedaris and can't wait
for me to read. They are juniors and seniors.

---