Attention getters and discipline ideas

---------

From: Lesley Glendenning (glendenning_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Thu Oct 09 2003 - 18:04:59 PDT

I just started a new job at the elementary level. I think I'm doing well
with the little ones but I'm having trouble translating discipline ideas
over to the older kids (fifth and sixth graders) since I mainly work with
the younger ones most of the time. I do have a behavior contract that I've
been using but I'd like to try something else before they get to that point.
So I'd like to hear what others do to get their upper elementary students'
attention to begin with and how to quiet them down if they do get too noisy.
Any suggestions will be appreciated.

Thank you,

Lesley

P.S. Thank you to all who replied with encouraging techniques. I've been
implementing a couple and I feel much less paranoid about what I'm saying to
my students. You are all wonderful!

---