Re: parent favorite

---------

From: Rick (rlarson_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Thu Oct 09 2003 - 14:35:58 PDT

Hi, I did a lesson this week, with 5th graders that I saw in one of my
old arts and activities. It has been getting alot of good reviews. I
did this as a one day " quickie" because they had worked so long and
hard on their self-portrait books. It was on warm and cool colors, and a
new painting technique. Fall Trees. We looked at work of Wolf Kahn-
his Ohio and Chesapeake canal painting which shows a row of
trees in Fall foliage.
The technique is, put brown and black paint in a little puddle on some
paper plates.
Using the side edge of a pc of cardboard, rub the edge into some of the
paint to cover the edge. I don't mix the black and brown, so it is in a
haphazard way that the brown and black get on the edge of the
cardboard. Then, on 12x 18 white drawing paper, we hold the edge of the
cardboard so the paint is touching the paper where you want a tree
trunk. the cardboard is perpendicular to the paper.
Give it a short , quick smear, and then lift it and place it to do the
other half of the trunk. Do this until you have a few tree trunks, or a
forest. Use varying sizes of cardboard so that you can have variety.
Then use warm colors- tempera- to dry brush on the leaves or leaf
areas. At this point I have the kids do their paint clean-up so their
painting can dry somewhat. Then we used cool color chalks to add sky,
grass and shaded areas or shadows. used a cotton ball to blend around
the trunks and leaves. Quick, successful for all, and very pretty.
Our front bulletin board needed a display. I think that it would work
perfectly with gray and white paint for birch trees. I'll do that next
year....
Thanks to whomever thought this all up.
Betsy

Dcoxslipcovers@aol.com wrote:

> I do a Georgia Okeeffe project (middle school)that I got from a
> friend, it always

---