RE: kiln firing question

---------

From: cen_aca_dp (cen_aca_dp_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Thu Oct 09 2003 - 08:25:50 PDT

Mine is a Skutt. Do you have a manual? Mine gives charts and directions for
different types of firings. For Candling it gives this chart:

Segment: Rate: Temperature: Hold:
  1 50 degrees/hour 150 deg. F 6.00 (hours)
  2 150 deg/hr 1100 deg. F 2.00
  3 570 deg/hr 2100 deg. F 0
  4 108 deg/hr 2345 deg. F 0

SO, for my kiln, I would enter the following into the keypad:
Enter (clears it)
Ramp/Hold (enters the mode)
1 (USEr profile number 1)
Enter (opens the USEr profile to accept data)
4 (number of segments from above)
Enter
50 (rate of first segment)
Enter
150 (the degree to reach in this segment)
Enter
6 (hold time for this segment)
Enter
150 (rate of second segment)
Enter
1100 (degrees to reach)
Enter
2 (hold time)
Enter
570 (rate for third segment)
Enter
2100 (degrees to reach)
Enter
0 (no hold time)
Enter
108 (rate for fourth segment)
Enter
2345 (degrees for fourth segment)
Enter
0 (no hold time)
Enter
9999 (temperature to sound alarm)
Enter

Then, you can delay the start (say, if you load it after school at 3 and want
it to begin at 11 that night, you would enter 8 and it will begin a countdown)

SOunds very complicated, but I've only had it one year & I've loved it. Once
you get the hang of it, it is simple. Really!

Denise Pannell
Defiance, OH

>===== Original Message From "Hillmer, Jan" <hillmjan@Berkeleyprep.org> =====
>Denise, I have an automatic kiln, but don;t know how to do this. Could you
explain a little bit more? My kiln is a digital Paragon.
>Jan
>

>Firing damp clay at a low temp (about 150 degrees) is called "Candling". My
>automatic kiln is great for this because I can program it to fire at this
>level overnight and then ramp to a regular firing early the next morning. I
>have also placed pieces on top of the kiln to dry while it is firing, as
>someone else mentioned. It just speeds up the drying process. No broken
pieces
>yet!
>
>Denise Pannell
>Defiance, OH