Re: kiln firing question

---------

From: artappeal (artappeal_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Thu Oct 09 2003 - 04:19:35 PDT

I don't think it's any more toxic than usual. The only thing that is
different about the clay is that it has more water in it. Since the water
has not had time to evaporate, the clay that is being dried rapidly in the
warm kiln could crack, warp, or even explode. However, I have heard of
people successfully drying clay in a warm kiln with the lid open as you have
described. Explosions happen when you fire wet clay in the normal manner.
This is my, "I did teach ceramics for a while, but I'm not an expert,"
opinion.

Leah