fall leaves/color mixing

---------

From: Sears, Ellen (ESears_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed Oct 08 2003 - 11:55:38 PDT

Now that leaves are turning I am reminded of a lesson we did last year -

We collected leaves - I had a bunch in coke/flat boxes on the table -

practiced contour drawings - one leaf at a time -
enlarged the drawing (one leaf) to 18 x 24 white paper -
went over the pencil line drawing with a very light 'ribbon line' - think of
the cross-section view of the ribbon candy you may have seen at Christmas
time - top to bottom - edge to edge.

then I only gave the kids the primary colors on a plate - they had to look
at a selection of leaves and try to mix the oranges, golds, and reds - one
for each section (the ribbon line divided both the leaf and background into
sections) -

the background or negative space ended up being greens, blues and purples -

Looked great as a display - lots of mixing/matching practice -

Ellen

---