Re: Integrating art museums into HS curriculum

---------

From: The Austin's (whest177_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Tue Oct 07 2003 - 15:13:07 PDT

Hi Sarah - I have taken my students to the museum many times and the first
and foremost thing I have found is to make sure they have an assignment in
hand before they get off the bus! I have had students start off with a
scavenger hunt. They have a list of visuals they must find in various
paintings. Step two is to find 2-3 paintings I have pre-chosen and write a
critique on each painting, then award them various prizes. Step three is to
choose their favorite artwork, describe it in detail, then tell why they
like this one so well. When we return to the classroom students will compare
answers, and often get in a debate over the answers. If time allowed I would
love to be able to take them on return visits to visually defend their
paintings and allow others to see what they see.
~*~Michal~*~
K-12 Kansas Art Teacher
http://www.geocities.com/theartkids

> Hello out there. I am writing a project for my art ed class about using
art museums as a tool for instruction in the high school art classroom. I
would like to hear from those of you who have both successfully and
unsuccessfully done so. If you can e-mail me personally, It will help cut
down on the 'noise' of the listserve. Thank you for your help!
> Sarah Grow
> Northern AZ U
> Art Ed Major

---