RE: Oaxaccan Art...Folk Arts of Mexico

---------

From: Grace Hall (gchall_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Tue Oct 07 2003 - 10:34:18 PDT

You're probably already aware that there's a Crizmac video about the Oaxaccan
artists of Mexico? It's pretty good because they show you how the artist
carves the animals with a machete!!! Can you imagine all the intricate
carving they do with a tool that big and awkward?? My high school students
did a lesson on this artform a couple of years ago using found wood, like
limbs from trees, roots, and driftwood. They looked at the wood to see if
they could find a creature already being suggested by the grain or the knots
in the wood they found. Then they did some carving and some attaching to help
improve the compositon and make it look more like the animal that they could
see in the wood. I have some of my students projects posted on Artsonia.

Another cool Mexican Folk art is Bark Painting. I have a bunch of those
posted on Artsonia too. I believe I've even got a lesson plan posted for
that one, but don't hold me to it.

Here's the link to our page on Artsonia. Click on projects created in
2001,...I think.
 http://www.artsonia.com/schools/bogalusa1

Grace

---