RE: silk screening

---------

From: Judy Decker (judydeckeriad_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Tue Oct 07 2003 - 09:51:21 PDT

Hi Judi,

I have found that few list members do silk screening
anymore because either the inks are so toxic -- or the
stencil process is. I did a lot with paper stencils
(for water base inks)and La Page Glue (for the oil
base inks). We used lacquer based stencils (with water
based inks)- but did not clear them from the screen -
We stretched new silk (a polyester mesh). The hassles
with silk screening was the main reason I cut my high
school course from a whole year down to one semester.

See Ken Schwab's tips:
http://www.princetonol.com/groups/iad/lessons/high/printmaking.htm#Silkscreen

This lesson plan from Connie is great:
http://www.princetonol.com/groups/iad/lessons/middle/connie-screen.htm

I had great success getting multiple prints from wax
paper stencils and acetate stencils.

You can get some very neat monoprints by dribbling
different colors of ink on the screen then pulling the
squeegee. Do one pass to print. -- then put a clean
sheet of paper under to pull the rest of the ink off
the screen (this does waste ink --but you get some
interesting prints). I used these kind of prints in
collage (poor photos - sorry)- combined with other
monoprints:
http://www.princetonol.com/groups/iad/lessons/middle/images/Celfami1.jpg
http://www.princetonol.com/groups/iad/lessons/middle/images/print3.jpg

I have been unsuccessful in getting new screen
printing lessons for the site. Ken doesn't do his
lesson anymore either because of the mess clean-up
involves. I found, too, that students loved the
process -- but sure hated the clean-up. Forty two
minute class periods didn't help the situation even
with the buddy system. I got stuck finishing clean-up
after school many times in order to save screens.

Hot water also works best to remove block-out for
clean-up -- something that my room didn't have (it was
luke-warm at best).

If you have a successful unit for screen printing to
share - I would love to have it on the site. Photo or
otherwise.

Best of luck to you,

Judith

--- Judi Morgan <judi.morgan@sgs.org> wrote:
> Is anyone out there doing silk screening? With
> filler and drawing fluid
> not photo emulsion? I tried it last week and then
> could not get the
> filler out (speedball brand). There MUST be a way
> to do traditional
> silk screening. Help!

=====
Judith Decker