Re: Maskmaking -Yup'ik masks - elementary

---------

From: Judy Decker (judydeckeriad_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Mon Oct 06 2003 - 19:50:37 PDT

Kathy - here are those links too:
(I sent Kathy the Northwest Coast links if anyone esle
is interested).

Agayuliyararput: Our Way of Making Prayers -Excellent
site from Universtiy
of Michigan
http://www.si.umich.edu/chico/yupik/yupik.html
Online version of the Yup'ik Eskimo Mask Exhibit:
Agayuliyararput (Our Way
of Making Prayer). This exhibit brings together Yup'ik
masks preserved in
different museums from around the world, with the
stories these masks tell,
collected from Yup'ik elders.
Interactive - multimedia Online exhibit from National
Museum of Natural
History:
http://www.mnh.si.edu/arctic/features/yupik/index.html

Living Tradition of Yup'ik Masks - several images and
background
information:
http://www.tribalarts.com/feature/riordan/index.html

People of the Artic: Arctic Studies Center (good for
costume):
http://www.mnh.si.edu/arctic/features/croads/people.html
Alaskan Masks:
http://www.mnh.si.edu/arctic/features/croads/amasks.html

Tunghak Tribe mask - southwest Alaska:
http://www.asianart.com/articles/murray/35.html

Asymmetrical Mask - Eskimo - Alaska -Getty ArtsEdNet:
http://www.getty.edu/artsednet/images/M/eskimo.html

These are very doable with kids too.

Here is my lesson plan for the Northwest Coast masks
-I did mine with 6th grade:
http://www.princetonol.com/groups/iad/lessons/middle/Lessons/6totemask.htm
Many used Northwest Coast design motifs - some didn't
(the dog was more of his own ideas for design).
Student used my Internet lesson (probably broken links
now):
http://www.princetonol.com/groups/iad/lessons/middle/nwcoast.htm
We used Dempsy Bob, mainly - I had a video on his
work.

Judith

--- lindwood@webtv.net wrote:
> I fell in love with the Yupik masks this summer:-)
>
> Linda Woods,
> Visit our Students' Art Gallery at St. John's
> School: http://www.sjs.org,
> click on Fine Arts, Click on Lower and 6th Grade Art
> Gallery.

=====
Judith Decker
Incredible Art Department